Monday, September 25, 2023

Oh no, I need a round of de-cluttering!




Hello there! I see that it has again been way too long since I posted. The renovation is done, and I finally started painting again, I mean art works. Problem is, I didn't really think I was going to start doing that again when I bought the house, so now I have my painting easel and all that stuff in the living room. As well as my desk with the computer, a cupboard full of fabrics, a larger cupboard for storing different kinds of things (there is no built in in storage in this house besides some in the kitchen). And we currently have four arm chairs, a bookshelf and a narrow sideboard in front of the window as well, there is a doorway or a window in every wall, and the fireplace. 

Upstairs room is really too low and small for a painting studio, and I have my sewing table there. Plus more fabric storage, which I want to reduce further. I mean, I sew but not THAT much. That one cupboard should be enough space to hold all my fabrics and yarn too. There is an old cabinet upstairs that holds sewing thread and other paraphernalia that goes with sewing. And a cute antique ironing board. 

My daughter's room is under control, she is such a natural minimalist! She told me she hates having around stuff she doesn't need, or doesn't know if she will ever need. I was like, oh I know!!!

I do know. I like to bake and generally just do stuff at home, but I want my surroundings to be tidy and clean, and I don't want excess stuff to be in the way. How many mixing bowls, baking pans and vintage dishes do we need? Turns out, the pretty antique dishes I've collected from flea markets probably have lead and maybe cadmium and other heavy metals in them, so they are definitely not to be used every day for food, preferably never since I have complicated illnesses, and DD certainly doesn't need any toxins that we can avoid.. sigh. I could put a couple of them on the wall, maybe. But will it look clutter, as we already have art and photos and wallpaper... I bake for church about once every three weeks, and host a women's group every few weeks. Then I like to have enough bowls so that I don't need to wash my baking bowls to be able to serve salad and chips from them, you know. I just baked two banana cakes, and I put them in the oven at the same time using rectangular baking pans, so I need two of those. And two large round pie dishes, though often I also just use a baking sheet. I use my small copper kettle every day to heat milk for my coffee, and it is good for melting butter too. Kettles and sauté pans - I have five different sized kettles and only one sauce pan. I could use another, actually. I had to throw away one old one as the coating was peeling off of it, yuck. 

I had a bit too many dry food stuffs stuffed in my cupboard, but I've been using them up and won't buy any fresh ones before they are almost gone. I gave away a bunch of dried fruit that we do eat but I'd bought so many that I realized the best-by date would come and go way before we could eat them all. This way I also have more room to store the glass jars I use for apple sauce, jam, dried herbs and stuff. When they are empty, I mean. 

And the fabric piles frustrate me. I gave away ten large bags to charity and friends already. I think I may just need to give away more. When DD wanted  a skirt, of course I didn't have suitable fabric for it, so I had to buy it. That's how it goes. Yarn I don't have that much, luckily. I knitted a sweater for DD but it turned out way too big. I'm not sure if I will give it away or unravel it.. 

Clothes are not bad either. DD has started to wear some of mine as well, and I'm happy that we can share some clothes, even though she is quite a bit smaller than I am. She also got a few pairs of my old jeans that were too small for me. I have bought new clothes during the last couple of years, good quality things that mostly are not very size specific, blouses, dresses, and a few A-line or wide, calf length skirts that can be cinched with a belt should the need arise. I started to wear nicer clothes every day, even though I don't have a work that requires certain attire. I just felt like a slob wearing sweat pants most of the time! I still wear sweats or other comfy pants at home, but I usually wear a pretty tunic on top, so I can go for a quick errand not looking like a hobo. We still have very limited space for clothing storage so I can't hold on to things we don't wear. I try to not get suckered into buying so-so items, even if they are really cheap. And if I buy something that is not just right, I should just return it. 

But if I see something I really like, I will get it even if it's a bit pricey, because I know I will wear it a lot, and possibly my DD will wear it too. 

I also have amassed a collection. Yes, a collection, of hair clips! My hair has grown past waist since I quit cutting it almost three years ago, and I just got carried away with the hair clips. Oh no, I don't know what went into me.  I have more than two dozen, to go with any color clothes. Of course just one gold colored one would go with everything. I also have a few head scarves. Those are really not a problem though, even though I do not need any more, and I could cull a few. 

Bedding and towels are minimal, I'm happy with the amount we have. Same with cosmetics. We found the perfect shampoo and conditioner that suits both DD and myself and it's such a relief not to have to think about what to get and then buy something that is terrible. I just buy the same things again when we start to run out, and the same goes for deodorant, cleanser, moisturizer. Ah, the simplicity! 

Oh, and I feel like the garden is running me over, it is super lush but the weeds and grass grow like crazy too. I hate mowing the lawn and then it gets too long and is even harder to mow. Parts of my garden are just left wild. Good for the bees and butterflies and other critters for sure... I didn't quite realize how much work the garden would be, and how big this really is for one person to care for. One person who is not very energetic and accomplishing, but more the type to sit around with a cup of coffee or tea and read. I love flowers so much and it has been fun growing grapes and Thai eggplant and super delicious strawberries... And they grow huge and spread and now I am giving away strawberry plants to my neighbors. And the dahlias are so gorgeous, but as soon as the frosts come, I will need to dig out the tubers and dry them and store them. I also need to empty the terracotta pots that have summer plants in them. Roses and mint are perennial and can either stay in the pots or I will replant them in the ground to make sure they survive. 

But I digress! I was talking about needing to de-clutter. Yes, the fabric stash needs serious culling, and the dishes need some too. I should also take a look at my renovation supplies and tools and organize them and get rid of anything I will not need, and figure out where to store them so that they are out of sight but easily accessible. 

Also I will have to take a critical look at every single knick-knack. I don't have that many, but the house is small! I have a large monstera plant that is growing all over the place. I would love to have more room for it! 

And where to put my empty canvases? Upstairs, perhaps, if I get rid of the fabrics. 

See, I almost have a plan. And I have a fleamarket space booked too in a couple of weeks, to get me motivated to do this. 

And then I solemnly swear to get back on track. I will mostly only replace broken things, and think super carefully if I get anything new. If something breaks or wear out or empties or someone else needs it, I will think long and hard if it needs replacing or if I can just do without. If I notice a need, I will write it down in a list. Like: DD needs warm winter boots. I need a new tunic, never have enough for a wash cycle. 

A whole bunch of pictures to follow - but let me ask you, what is your current situation? Is life simple enough, have you been able to keep the simplicity you attained or have you had lapses? If so, when and how did it happen?

After I get back on track, I should make another post with pictures. 
































































No comments: