Tuesday, December 7, 2021

A little peek to our little house

 












 






















So there you go, some photos of our home! I see I'm missing overall pictures of most areas, because it just hasn't been tidy enough to take sweeping pictures of the living room and so on! There always seems to be some pile of random misplaced stuff or another - and huge piles during renovation projects - so I need to make and effort to finally organize the rest of it! If you look carefully you will see some wallpaper remnants on the log walls and there will continue to be things to do in the house. I'm not aiming for "perfection" in that sense - an old house should look like an old house, and it's okay to have small projects waiting and obviously so. It's the disorganized things that get on my nerves.

I've used old things in the renovation, kitchen cabinets from the 50's and the cast iron bathtub. They were cheap and they look like they belong here. I don't mind having things from different decades, it's how houses sort of evolve organically. I have original floor planks, windows from the 80's, kitchen from the 50's, some antique furniture and our couch is 70's design. I don't want to live in a museum, and I also don't like all modern everything. Cost and aesthetics are both important but functionality is above all. The kitchen now finally has the moldings.

I'll post more pictures later when I get around taking some.

I will also make a separate post about the garden as I have tons of pictures. I think the garden, especially flowers, are my weak spot! I'm already looking at flowers to plant in the spring. I still have lots of space left in the garden! 

I am very thankful for this blessing of a house that is now our home. 
When we moved in and lived in the middle of a chaos on multiple fronts, Indiana said that this is the most cozy home she has ever lived in. And that she doesn't want to have white walls ever again 😄 I personally have nothing against white walls, but as it is, there are no white walls in the house, though most are light. The clay and stucco walls are tinted with natural pigments and then there are the old wallpapers and now some bare logs visible.

The chimney is going to be cleaned today and I will ask about installing a wood stove in the kitchen, which I would like to do.
I think I will paint this old ladder today and do finishing work on the sweater I knit and finally got done yesterday. 

Then there is organizing the upstairs sewing room that is waiting to be done and two large paintings need a storage place but the larger one doesn't really fit anywhere. It's too large to go up the stairs even. The persistent bronchitis I have has been slowing down my effort to get everything in order for Christmas, but there is still plenty of time. Which reminds me that I still haven't put the lights on our little cone shaped outdoor Christmas tree. Maybe I can do that today as well.

***

And here are some before-photos taken before we moved in. The house was built in 1935 and the kitchen was from the 70's and the bathroom addition was built in 1991. There was some smelly plastic (toilet freshener, yuck!) and water damaged particle board and broken tiles and so on. The kitchen window would not open because it was blocked by a too-long low cabinet. The bathroom did not have modern water sealing, the electric floor heating broke after we'd just moved in and burned the plastic flooring on top and the bathroom was really cold last winter.. The water heater broke, and when a new one was installed, the guy broke the toilet. So yeah, there were some things that needed fixing 😅 All in all the house had been taken good care of, it's just that things break when they get old.
Well, the electrical work was really weird. It's been replaced in the kitchen and the bathroom addition now, but still needs replacing elsewhere as it's not that safe. The radiators are new but made after old models. 

I got rid of the indoor electric sauna and turned it into a walk-in closet with the washing machine there as well. I decided to also get a dish washer. 

The living room floor planks were in a really rough condition underneath the layers, but I love them so much now! 























4 comments:

allornothingdropout said...

Hello!!!!

I just got an email notification that you have a new blog post! I haven't even read it but I want you to know that I've missed your posts. It feels like finding a long lost pen pal. I'm so glad you are ok and have decided to fellowship through your blogs. I look forward to future posts.

Ali said...

So happy you are blogging again!

Lisa said...

A very cute house!

Unknown said...

It is lovely to see you posting again. I kept your site bookmarked.